Thursday, July 7, 2011

Pour Your Heart Out Wednesday: Bratty Kids

Have you ever been in a restaurant eating peacefully when all of a sudden you hear a shriek and then screaming?  How about on an airplane when a small child is unruly and their parents are doing NOTHING to control them or in the grocery store when a small child is running rampant through the aisles or screaming bloody murder because their mom won't get them something they want. I recently read an article shared by one of my facebook friends.  Check it out here.  I completely agree with Granderson.


Don't get me wrong, I love kids.  I have two of my own.  But my kids get disciplined if they are misbehaving - granted one is a little too young for that, she usually gets slapped on the boob if she gets fussy. :)  I refuse to be THAT parent who doesn't take care of their kids' bad behavior.


When A misbehaves at the grocery store - unless we're in the checkout lane, I leave the cart and we leave.  If she's openly defiant, she gets her butt swatted (with an open hand).  If she hits someone, we try time out first, but if that doesn't work, she gets her butt swatted (again with an open hand).  If she tells me no, she gets her butt swatted (that's open defiance).  We have also mastered "the look" that Granderson talks about.  We try time outs, but they don't always work.  Most of the time, we only have to start counting and threaten a spanking and that takes care of it.  She knows if we get to 5 she's "in for it".  But you know what, contrary to what the popular thought is on spanking, my kid is a well adjusted toddler who for the most part behaves, comes when asked, follows directions well, and stops when told.  I realize she's only two and we can't spank forever, but I also know that once she understands that we EXPECT good behavior and we WILL discipline bad behavior, she will continue to be well behaved... at least for the foreseeable future.


Linking up with Pour Your Heart out at Things I Can't Say.






That's all for now.  Thanks for stopping by.

{Becky}

0 comments:

Post a Comment